The settlement of Truro began during the 11th Century, spreading out from the manor of Trehaverne to the west of the River Allen.
Between the 11th and 13th centuries, wayside crosses were errected along pathways to guide travellers to churches, monasteries and holy wells. To this day granite cross stands at High Cross, in front of the Cathedral. It was first recorded in 1290 but is believed to be much older. There are several theories about the meaning of the name Truro. One being "Tri" meaning three and "Ru" meaning roads, referencing the three main roads entering Truro from the north, east and west.The River & Port - Truro started where the Allen, Kenwyn and the now disappeared "Glasteinan" rivers met to make an early port. There were probably smaller quays on both rivers before town quay was built where they meet in 1676. Some later quays were named for the merchants who built them, such as Lemon, Enys and Andrews ( now Garras Wharf). Tin trading through the port made Truro important also caised Truro's rivers to silt and there have been many attempts to clear it over the years. Truro's importance grew when it became one of Cornwall's four Stannary Towns, where tin was checked and taxed before export. Grain, slate and wollen cloth were also exported, but it was tin and copper that made Truro's merchants rich. As Truro developed as a commercial and administrative centre and Falmoth grew as a port, the Port of Truro declined, Lemon Quay was covered over to become a car park and later evolved into its present form. In the 1960s the ring road (Morlaix Avenue) was built, effectively disconnecting the city from its port.