Some useful information for disabled visitors to Truro.
We are committed to helping everyone enjoy our great little city and will help in any way we can. Truro is a historic market town, the cobbled streets and leats system can make some surfaces a little uneven. There are pedestrian crossings and dropped kerbs around the city and the city centre is flat. There are cobbles in parts of the city. This information is available from our Boscawen Street shop.
All public toilets in Truro have accessible facilities and are marked on the city map, which is available for free from the Tourist Information Centre. The RADAR scheme is in use in Truro and keys are available to purchase from our Boscawen Street shop for £3. Disabled Toilets are situated at The Leats (behind WH Smith), Moorfield Car Park, Lemon Street (by telephone boxes), Old Bridge Street car park & Green Street (next to the bus station)
Truro has limited on street disabled parking bays situated in the city centre, available on Lemon Street, Boscawen Street, River Street, King Street & Duke Street. Blue Badge holders must display their badges clearly. Cornwall Council own most of the car parks in Truro. Blue Badge holders are allowed to park for free in a Cornwall Council car park if they have a vehicle that is adapted or they are registered on the Cornwall Council exemption scheme. To register for this scheme you are required to submit a application in advance of your visit, for more information please click here or call 0300 1234 222
Park & Ride
There are two park & rides in Truro which are linked to each other, Langarth Park & Tregurra.
- Langarth (TR4 9AN) – This is on the Western side of Truro and can be found on the A390 at Threemilestone. From the A30, head towards Truro (A390) from the Chiverton Cross Roundabout and turn left (signposted) just before the Threemilestone Roundabout.
- Tregurra (TR1 1RH) – This is on the Eastern side of Truro and can be found near the junction of the A39 and A390 at Union Hill. From the A30, head towards Truro (A39) at the Carland Cross Roundabout and turn left (signposted) just after the Truro Livestock Market. From the A390 head towards Truro and turn right (signposted).
There are blue badge bays at both park & ride sites,
Wheel chair access - All of the Park & Ride vehicles are Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) compliant and have space for one wheelchair on board with a maximum capacity of 350kg for the ramp. If you have any concerns about your own wheelchair, please contact the site on 01872 279270 or ask at the enquiry desk on arrival.
Buses - The main bus station in Truro is on Green street and has accessible public toilets 100 yards from the waiting room.
First Kernow operate the majority of bus services in Truro. The buses have low floor easy access entrance. Please click here for more information from First on accessibility or call Customer Services 0345 602 0121. Opening hours 0700 - 1900 Monday to Saturday (excludes Bank Holidays), 0900 - 1700 Sunday
Rail - Truro Train station is situated west of the main city centre, on a hill. The mainline London Paddington train stops at Truro as well as the branch line to Falmouth.
The Train station itself:
- Staff help is available during the following hours Monday - Friday 06.45 - 20.00, Satruday 6.40 - 19.00 & Sunday 09.15 - 18.20
- There is a ramp for train access
- Step free access to platforms
- Accesable Toilets
For further information please contact 03457 000 125 or click here
Taxi The largest taxi operator in Truro is A2B & they have a selection of wheelchair accessible taxi's available 24 hours a day. 01872 272989
- British Red Cross, Lighterage Hill, Newham, Truro 01872 267953 - a variety of medical equipment available for short term hire.
- Tremorvah Industries, Threemilestone, Truro 01872 324340 - motorised scooters
- Cornwall Mobility, North Buildings, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro TR1 3LQ
Visit Truro Tourist Information Centre Acessibility
- Access to the Tourist Information Centre - We are situated in the historic City Hall on Boscawen Street. We have limited signage due to the building being situated in a conservation area & listed. There are two arch ways, the first has a small step into the foyer area and the main entrance is on the right. (excluding fire exit) The 2nd archway to the left (next to Poundland) has a dropped kerb, where you can walk or use a wheel chair to access the main entrance of the Tourist Information shop.
- Access within the Tourist Information - The shop is small but it is wide enough for wheelchairs to move around. We also have a lowered desk for visitors in wheelchairs. We have a number of racks & displays that are accessible from a wheelchair & staff are on hand to reach any higher items.
- Disabled Toilets - We do not have a disabled toilet in the Tourist Information, the nearest are situated at Lower Lemon street or Green Street both are on flat surfaces.
- Hearing Impaired Customers - We do not have a hearing loop but all service dogs are welcome in the Tourist Information.
- Visually Impaired Customers- Our signs are not written in braille but our staff are happy to assist visitors with visual impairments. All serivce dogs are welcome in the Tourist information centre.
- Dogs are welcome in the Tourist Information.
- We are registered as a safe place for vulnerable people.
- We sell Radar keys for disabled toilets for £3.00
- The nearest Car park to our office is Garras Wharf (long stay), TR1 2TN where there are 19 disabled parking bays. Please remember that you do need to register your car with Cornwall Council beforehand. (0300 1234 222) Access from the car park is via a sub way with a slope up to Lemon Quay which is flat. There is a dropped kerb on to the pavement outside the Pannier Market. Access can be gained through Tinners court (next to the market) which is flat and taking a left on to Princes street and on to Boscawen street. Please click here for our current map.
- Many staff have taken part in the customer service scheme Welcome for All.
- There is no general background noise in the Tourist Information Centre.
- Our front door is open all year round.
- Unfortunately we no longer have a shop mobility scheme operating in Truro.
If you have a particular question to anything we haven't covered in the above or would like to know more about Truro please contact us on the below details.
01872 274555 / email@example.com / Municipal Buildings, Boscawen Street, Truro, TR1 2NE