Ideas of things to do during the Summer of 2021 big or small
New to try
- Pilgrim Explorers - A series of 8 pilgrimages suitable for primary aged children. Download and print off and choose where you go.
- Truro River Cruises - Depending on the tide services leaving from Town Quay, Boscawen Park or Malpas Village
- Colouring competitions at Malletts Home Hardware - Colouring competition for the summer holidays with prizes for the winners. Collect the colouring forms and take them home to decorate, then pop them back in store for judging. It’s free to enter!
- Tea on the Square meal deal - children (under 10) eat for £1 with any adult meal, starting from 24th July.
- Visit Truro Colouring Sheets - for those liquid sunshine days.
- Joli Boutique – From glitter tattoos to jewellery making, there's lots to do at Joli Boutique! Get glitter tattoos and festival faces daily from 10.00 to 16.00 from just £2. Whilst you're there, why not get involved in the Make & Take Crafts? Running from 10.00 to 16.00 daily - Choose from a selection of activities from £4, make with the team in the shop and take home to show them off! Yout can choose to either Paint your own Pirate Flag , Design and Make a pin badge or Bead a unique keyring or bracelet. There is also the Joli Boutique Colouring Competition - Our Cornwall - Prize a £20 Gift Voucher at Joli Boutique!
- Fun for all the family with workshops at the Royal Cornwall Museum- They have messy mornings, crafternoons and a series of workshops to keep everyone entertained.
- Icing on the Cake Parent and Child Bake Off- Fancy a bit of healthy competition and cake? Icing on the Cake are running a Parent and Child Bake Off at Truro Cookery School in August.
- ReFill Store beach clean competition- Calling all #refillrevolution children! The ReFill Store would like you to do a mini beach clean and then create a picture with your beach waste! The winner will be drawn in August and will win a Chilly bottle in the colour of their choice. Drop your entries into the Truro ReFill Store in Lemon Street Market before the 31st July 2021. Head to their Facebook page to find out more.
- Geek Retreat- Want to get your teenagers out the house? Tempt them with a day at Geek Retreat, a gaming haven.
- Lisa Harker Quirky Art – Go and discover the children’s prints in pride of place for the Summer, with a story relating to one of the characters displayed in the shop corner. Chat to the owner and artist Lisa Harker about how her art is done and touch and feel the textures on the paintings.
- National Trust Trelissick- Collect the Trelissick Get set, go! trail sheet when you arrive at the garden entrance and try out some fun self-led activities. When you've completed the trail pick up a set of Get set, go! cards and stickers to continue your summer adventures.
- Truro Community Library - Hide and Seek - Rght Up Your Street! Join in our creature trail. Look out for the animals hidden in the shop windows of Pydar Street to win a prize! (limited to 60 entrants) - Running throughout August 2021 - Come in to pick up a trail sheet: Truro Community Library, Union Street Truro
Attractions & Sport Facilites
- Truro Cathedral - Explore the Cathedral at your own leisure, or join a guided tour (Monday-Thursday). Catch the Organ Recital every Friday afternoon, and keep an eye out for special events
- Royal Cornwall Museum
- Plaza Cinema Daily Screenings of the latest movies now available. Pre booking is advised and all the latest news can be found on their website - click on the link
- Sir Ben Ainslie Centre Check out the timetable for swimming pool and other facilities
- Truro Leisure Centre Please check their website for full details
- Player Ready Virtual Reality Pre booking essential .
- Celtic Tossers Open from 10am - 10pm, click on the link for further info.
- Truro Farmers Market - Wednesdays & Saturdays on Lemon Quay. 9am - 3.30pm.
- Truro Pannier Market - Truro's largest indoor market
- The Lemon Street Market - Please check individual store for their opening times
- Top picnic spots in and around Truro
- Loe Beach - Kayak, paddleboard hire, sailing tution plus children holiday clubs
- Tennis in the Park - Tennis court hire and lessons available
Walking & Cycling
- Truro Walks - some of our team have enjoyed re discovering some of Truro's outdoors spaces right on our doorstep.
- Truro Area walks - without going too far from home, explore the wider area around Truro.
- Coastal Walks within 10 miles of Truro you can still stay close to home but breathe in the fresh sea air.
- Mobile Eateries in Walking/Beach areas
- Cycling - We have a great choice of different bike rides to enjoy around Truro. Why not pop into our visitor centre & browse our selection of cycling maps.
Parks & Gardens
- Boscawen Park - The park, play equipment and tennis court are open and don't forget that no visit is complete without a visit to the duck pond. The cafe re-opens from Saturday 25th July serving takeaway tea, coffee and snacks.
- Victoria Gardens - The Gardens are open but we ask that social distancing is observed. Sadly the usual summer band concerts have been cancelled for this year, but please take a look at our monthly band concert page & listen to some performances.
- National Trust Trelissick - The garden, countryside, café, shop, plant sales, second-hand bookshop and Cornwall Crafts gallery are open at Trelissick. The house is closed. Trelissick Garden is open 7 days a week and have removed the booking system so you no longer need to book in advance. The mornings are proving to be a popular time to visit so if you are looking to visit at a quieter time we recommend arriving in the afternoon.
- Enterprise Boats - This year the service will run from Truro Town Quay on the following dates: 24th July, 7th, 8th, 21st & 22nd August
- Truro River Cruises - Depending on the tide, services leaving from Town Quay, Boscawen Park or Malpas Village
- Sailing Barge Drifter - Relaxed small sailings from Truro
Go Green this Summer- top tips for being Green in and around Truro
- Heading to the beach? Surf wood for good with wooden bellyboards this summer. Dick Pearce & Friends offer free wooden bellyboards to hire, which you can find in several shops along the coast.
- BBQs make up the staple summer diet, but this doesn't mean we can't be green. Why not use reusable cutlery? Pop into the ReFill Store in Lemon Street Market to shop reusable stainless steel or bamboo cutlery sets. In fact, you can shop for many summer essentials in the ReFill store, including Shade suncream, made from all natural ingredients and completely plastic free.
- Use reusable water bottles when out and about. Chilly's bottles are a popular brand of reusable bottle which keeps drinks cold drinks cool for 24 hours, and hot drinks warm for 12 hours. Available in Archie Browns, Waitrose, and The ReFill Store. In fact, there are many water refill sites across the city where you can fill your water up. Wherever you see the refill logo, just pop in! Or, download the free app to find the nearest station. To see a list of some of the stations here in Truro, click here. If you fancy a hot beverage, Cafe Uneeka and the ReFill store also sell the Circular & Co reusable cups, perfect for a coffee on-the-go.
- Want to keep entertained on the beach? Do a beach clean! Remember, the ReFill Store are running a competition until the 31st July to see who can make the best picture with their beach waste. Details on Facebook.
- Shop local. Truro is full of wonderful independent shops, many of whom source their goods locally, helping to reduce their carbon footprint. Almost all of the local independent shops are within the city centre, meaning they are easily accessible on foot. Truro also has three markets, where you can shop the best local produce, and shop from local traders. The Pannier Market and Lemon Street Market are both open Monday - Saturday, and the Truro Farmer's Market is a favourite fixture of Lemon Quay on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can see all the great shops Truro has to offer here. If you are doing a spot of shopping, don't forget your reusable bags!
- Use the Park and Ride. Truro has two park and ride sites, operating Monday - Saturday.
- Please use bins provided or take rubbish home with you.
- To find out more about how Truro has gone plastic free, click here.